Updated October 2020
CATEGORIES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT ONLINE
We collect information when you interact with us online, in person, or on a mobile device, for example, when you visit our website, mobile application, contact us, or make a donation online. We may collect the following categories of information from or about you:
- Information you provide to us: We collect the information you provide when you choose to contact us, submit an application, make loan payments, make a donation, or submit an online or mobile form. This may include personally identifying information, such as your name, form of identification, email, address, phone number, birth date, geographic location, credit score, payment information, income, debt, and other financial information necessary to process your request. Disclosure of this information is voluntary; however, if you choose not to provide the requested information, you may be unable to access the service in question. MAF may also compile aggregate, non-personally identifiable loan information for educational and information purposes in furtherance of MAF’s mission.
- Information about your use of our website and mobile application: MAF employs third-party services, such as Google Analytics, to passively collect general user information so we can calculate how many visitors come to our website or mobile application, how they find us and how they interact with or services while there. We use this information to help us make the website and mobile application more responsive to your needs. Such information may include IP address, location information, type of device, platform-related information, and browsing history.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Generally speaking, we use personal information to communicate with you, to inform you of programs and services that may be of interest, to provide, improve, and develop our services, and to protect us and our users. MAF collects and processes your personal information for the following purposes:
- Communicating with you: We may use your personal information to communicate with you, process your requests, applications or donations, send you payment reminders, and to inform you about our policies and terms. If you participate in our programs, you agree that all communications from MAF relating to your use of the website and participation in our programs may be provided or made available to you electronically via the e-mail address you provide us or via the website. You may withdraw your consent to receive communications electronically by contacting MAF in the manner described below. However, if you withdraw your consent to receive communications electronically from MAF (other than for optional promotional emails described below), MAF will not have the ability to permit you to borrow or lend any additional loans. The withdrawal of your consent will not affect the legal validity and enforceability of electronic communications provided by us in connection with any of your loans that have not been fully paid, or any electronic communications provided by MAF prior to the time you withdraw your consent. It is your responsibility to keep MAF informed of any changes in your email address so that you don’t miss important communications. MAF will not disclose your email address to other borrowers or lenders. MAF may also communicate with you through physical mail, and, with your prior consent, by text message at any telephone number that you have provided to us, and in a manner as described further below; if you do not want to receive text messages from MAF, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or as described below in the SMS Notification section.
- Informing you about programs or services that may be of interest: We may use your personal information to send you MAF promotional communications; for example, we may periodically send you emails about new MAF programs and services, content or services that may be of interest to you, or upcoming events. If you do not wish to receive such emails in the future, you can contact us at email@example.com to opt-out of receiving such communications. Note that if you decide to opt-out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as communications about your existing loan, donation, or online account.
- Providing, improving, and developing our services: We use your information to help us provide, improve, and develop our services, which is necessary for us to pursue our legitimate interest, provide you with quality services, and to further MAF’s mission to create a more fair marketplace. This includes using aggregate, non-personally identifiable information for purposes such as data analysis, research, and education. The information we receive allows us to tailor our service offerings, improve your online experience, educate and inform you, and customize the content and layout of our pages.
- Promoting safety and security: We use your information to pursue our legitimate interest in helping verify accounts and user activity, as well as in promoting safety and security, such as by monitoring fraud, investigating suspicious or potentially illegal activity or violations of our terms or policies, protecting our rights, or pursuing available remedies.
- SMS Notifications: MAF may also communicate with you, with your prior consent, through text message to inform you about your participation in our programs, or to notify you about programs or services that might be of interest for you. You can cancel the SMS service at any time. Just text “STOP” to the short code, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. After you send the SMS message “STOP” to us, we will send you an SMS message to confirm that you have been unsubscribed. After this, you will no longer receive SMS messages from us. If you want to join again, just sign up as you did the first time and we will start sending SMS messages to you again. If you are experiencing issues with the messaging program you can reply with the keyword HELP for more assistance, or you can get help directly at email@example.com. Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages. As always, message and data rates may apply for any messages sent to you from us and to us from you. You will receive up to 5 messages per month. If you have any questions about your text plan or data plan, it is best to contact your wireless provider.
THIRD PARTIES TO WHOM WE DISCLOSE INFORMATION
MAF will not rent or sell your personal information to third parties. We may disclose personal information we collect online to the following categories of third parties:
- Vendors and Service Providers: We use third-party companies to help us provide our services to you, for example, to process payments and transactions, operate our mobile application, interface with credit bureaus or financial institutions, communicate with you, and send MAF promotional materials. Some of these companies are given access to some or all of the information you provide to us. All such access shall be under appropriate confidentiality agreements and limited to use to provide services to MAF to help MAF further its mission. Personal information will not be shared with these third parties for their own marketing purposes.
- Credit Bureaus: MAF may disclose some or all of the information you provide us to credit bureaus (i.e. Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) to provide our services and help you build a credit history. This may include your name, address, social security number, and information about your loan balance and payments. The information provided to credit bureaus may be used in consumer credit reports. Credit bureaus are regulated by federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations intended to protect consumers’ privacy, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and credit bureaus may only use and disclose personal information subject to applicable legal restrictions and requirements.
- Local Governments: Certain city and county governments, including in San Francisco, utilize MAF to provide financial services to their residents. If you obtained a loan from MAF that is funded in whole or in part by one of these local governments, that government may be given access to some or all of the information you provide to us. All such access shall be under appropriate confidentiality agreements and limited to specific uses.
- Other Website and Mobile Application Users: MAF may publicly display and disclose aggregate, non-personally identifiable, anonymous loan information for educational, informational or promotional purposes in furtherance of MAF’s mission. MAF will never include any personally identifying information without your express consent.
- Legal Compliance and Security: In certain special cases, we may disclose your personal information when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify or contact you or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to you, MAF, or someone else. We may disclose your personal information when we believe the law requires it, in response to any demand by law enforcement authorities in connection with a criminal investigation, in response to civil or administrative authorities in connection with a pending civil case, governmental authorities or administrative investigation, or in connection with an investigation conducted by MAF.
COOKIES & WEB BEACONS
Cookies are small text files created by a website that store information on your computer, such as your preferences when visiting that website. Similar to many websites, if you have enabled cookies in your browser, MAF, independently and through enabled third-party tools and programs, collects certain technical information using cookies, such as how a user got to our website, what pages are visited, originating IP address, browser type, browser language and the date and time of the user’s visit. This information helps MAF track trends and improve areas of the website and services. A cookie does not identify you personally, but only identifies your browser. Many browsers maintain a default setting to allow cookies. You have the ability to modify this setting so as to decline cookies. The “Help” tab on your toolbar may guide you to the settings for your browser that will allow you to change your browser settings with regard to cookies. Please note that if you decline cookies, your use of our website may be impaired.
Web beacons are tiny graphics with a unique identifier that are similar in function to cookies but, instead of being stored on your computer, are embedded invisibly on web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Web beacons are used to track the online movements of internet users and help MAF better understand who is interacting and engaging with the website and our programs and services.
COMPANIES OTHER THAN MAF
If you use MAF web features that are integrated with third-party websites or services (e.g. Twitter and Facebook) to share information about your activity (e.g. information about recently completed loan payments or distributions and whether you “like” MAF), MAF will share this information with the third-party website or service and additional information, if any, that you choose to provide to MAF to use these features (for example, your username for the third party website or service). If you use interactive features on MAF to indicate that you “recommend” a particular feature or listing on MAF, that information will be collected, may be displayed on the website, and may be shared on any applicable third-party websites and services to which you have authorized such information sharing.
OUR DATA LOCATION
Depending on where you live, you may have the right to:
- See what data we have about you, if any, and access the data
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Receive your personal information in a structured and standard format.
- Express concerns you have about our use of your data.
If you are a California resident, California law permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. MAF does not share personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes.
You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to exercise your rights. We will respond to your request in a reasonable timeframe, and in any event in less than one month or 45 days, depending on the law applicable where you live. You may also lodge a complaint with the competent data protection authority regarding the processing of your personal information.
To protect the privacy and the security of your personal information, we may request information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access such information, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information we maintain. There are instances where applicable laws or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide or delete some or all of the personal information that we maintain.